8/13/08

The day has come

This must have been one of the best days since I arrived in Ukraine.  Finally after months of delays, false starts, logistical hang-ups and a few months sitting in a warehouse in Sweden, we have received our Polaris Ranger UTV.  Prior to its arrival I got the impression that I was the only one excited to have it here but today I realized that this was only because I was the only one who really knew what it was and what it could do for all of us.  Once we finally got to the front of the trailer and exposed it, the staff was as giddy as I was.

This is what our first view looked like

I suspect that it will henceforth be known as Matt's truck (it's how everything here works) and as such I was the only one allowed to back it out.  In the absence of a loading dock, we resorted to using our stage and a few pallets as risers.  Most everyone was dubious about my claims that I could drive it straight down the stairs once it was out of the truck but were delighted to see it happen.

Campbell believes that this is his person chariot and was the only one that Andrey allowed to ride with me on it's inagural trip from the stage to the storage building.  As you can see, the customs guys were kind enough to allow us to use it briefly to bring the pallets back.
I am about to post a video or 2 of the unload but they should show up below this post.

8 comments:

  1. Matt, I can almost feel your absolute bliss...Lindsay P thought something entirely different when she first saw your post...but I won't go into that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Marcie is inadvertently trying to say, is that I thought the guy in the photo was naked. But I'm excited that you got your UTV! Yeah!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lindsay--that was my first thought about the guy in the pic. But after I realized you wouldn't post naked pics I was excited to see your new toy. That was a really large truck for them to bring it to you on. Campbell seemed so proud to be sitting in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, sorry about that. That is the truck driver and he is shirt-averse.

    Rach,
    That trailer was completely filled to the roof with humanitarian aid when it arrived but had already spent the better part of 2 hours getting all of that moved away before we brought the trailer to the stage to unload the Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Campbell is looking like such a big boy and is as cute as ever!!

    Congrats on the Ranger! It reminds me of the one that we used to tool around Sarah's big backyard on. Not that it looks the same but reminds me nonetheless. :D

    I thought of you guys(and missed you)while up at BCC. I think the last time we saw you was probably at camp. Nope, I guess it was at your MI wedding reception. Ok, sorry for rambling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent - nothing like a man and his truck, faithful sidekick, and four tons of humanitarian aid. Glad you guys finally got it, although I have to say that it looks bigger with Cam sitting in the seat than on the website. Anyway, I look forward to productivity reports directly related to the UTV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, time to get to work. No more beach vacations!

    Verification: shwel. How are you doing this fine day? Shwel. You?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did it fit in the warehouse, or did you have to move all the boxes back to the original warehouse so the UTV would go in the other warehouse? Okay, confusing, but you know what I mean.

    Enjoy your new toy. Sorry I missed the delivery.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!