6/17/08

A Day is like a Thousand Years

We've been a bit behind in getting you posted with the first summer camp.  This is due to our nonstop busyness and packed schedule.  I think we mentioned before that we have a small team for Camp 1, so Matt and I have been recruited.  Our days consist of morning exercises, prayer, breakfast, Bible lesson (oh yeah, I've been recruited as music person since their keyboardist backed out... luckily I just have to push a play button), beach, lunch, meeting, afternoon activity, dinner, craft, another activity, and bedtime story.  PHEW!  Oh yeah, and raise a 2 year old.  On top of that, two of the six team members had one of those nightmare stories trying to get here and didn't arrive until midnight Sunday.  They've been great though... jumping right in and doing morning exercises, Bible stories, and crafts.  It's the reason why I am now able to do a little posting.  

First day of camp was Saturday.  While the campers got checked out by the doctor, we did balloon animals and had bubbles for the kids while they waited.  Here is the leader of our group, Paul, and one of the team members, Steve.  Steve also acts as another translator for us as he is Ukrainian (living in the U.S.).  He's only been in the U.S. for a couple of years, but they all make fun of his American accent.  We pick on him a lot, but he's a good sport.  


Here are some of the cuties.

And of course Campbell had to get in on the fun.  Campbell is a huge hit with all the kids.  I'm not sure Cam knew what hit him when 90 new kids came to live at "his place", but he's handling it well.  We certainly don't have to fight for bedtime or nap time.  


Here are the ever famous foam visors.  If you've ever been to this camp, I'm sure you will recognize them.  The kids still love making them.  The two boys on the left have quickly become Matt's, Campbell's, and my buddies.  Mark is in the middle and... I'm a bad person for forgetting the boy's name on the left.  I should know it too, because he follows me everywhere, but it's an unusual name and quite frankly I am horrible at remembering names.  

We also had a "Draw a portrait of  your favorite International Team Member" contest.  This was one of the winners.  Matt likes the fact that I am gazing so lovingly at him... I like the fact that Campbell is doll-sized (this would be so much nicer on my back as he is actually over half of my size).  Doesn't Matt look like Danny Bonaduce?

Beach pictures will come soon.  We've been down a few times and had a great time.  Campbell loves being in the water and tries out his swim moves.  Like I mentioned before, going to the beach can be a lot of work so I haven't felt like taking an expensive camera.  

3 comments:

  1. The Danny resemblance is actually quite funny.

    Thanks for sharing the experiences and pictures and whatnot -- it is cool to get a visual for what some of your everyday lives entail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say Hi to Steve for me. I'm so glad that he is helping out again. He is a great team member to have! I hope and pray that everything in going great for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you guys and i'm praying for you and HOPE CENTER!!!!! My heart is there with you!!! say hi to everyone for me!!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think