6/5/08

This election coverage is making me sick

Update:  I changed the post time on this one to leapfrog it to the top of the page because I really am interested in your thoughts.  Don't worry, neither I nor any other commenters will berate you if you're a closet Obama fan...  What do you folks in the states think about this election?

I haven't done a good political rant recently but the coronation of Barack Obama is bringing one on.  I have no problem with him being the nominee since, even though I disagree with him on most issues, he was selected by the Democratic party of which I am not a member (they don't care what I think).  My nausea is due to the coverage of this week's end of the primary season.  I understand that "identity politics" means that there is a certain pride in there having been a historic contest between a woman and an African-American in a nation that in the past disenfranchised both groups.  I get that, I really do.

What I have a hard time stomaching is this paternalism from international elites.  Like people in Britain (a country which has also never had a black head of state) saying that it is a step in the right direction for the US; as though they have been trying to guide us but we are just a big clumsy child who needs remedial training.  I just caught an article from the Washington Post which covers some of the reactions to Obama's earning the nomination.  It quotes a political scientist in Japan (not exactly the epicenter of racial diversity) saying that this shows the US as the place of freedom that they thought it to be - as though a rejection of Obama's platform would have discounted our status as a society of equal opportunity.

I have to quote my favorite one:

"This is close to a miracle. I was certain that some things will not happen in my lifetime," said Sunila Patel, 62, a widow encountered on the streets of New Delhi. "A black president of the U.S. will mean that there will be more American tolerance for people around the world who are different."

First, this is infantile logic.  A president, no matter how amazing cannot affect the "tolerance" level of a nation.  Second, as a South Asian, she represents nearly 1/4 of the planet's population; far higher than white America or even people of European background overall.  Since she is much closer to the majority, perhaps it is she, not we that should be tolerant of people who are different.  After all, India still retains a rigid caste system that is based at least partially on skin color, ethnicity and religion.  Specks and planks, madam.

Ooh, here's another section...

"In many nations, Obama's youth and skin color also represent a welcome generational and stylistic change for America. Obama personifies not the America of Bush and Vice President Cheney but the nation that produced Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods -- youthful, dark-skinned sports stars who are deeply admired household names around the world."

Ah, of course.  He's black so he must be an athlete or at least looks like one.  This drives me crazy!  It's apparently only OK to use these stereotypes when it serves the purpose of the mass media's agenda.

...I had a great conclusion paragraph for this post but it didn't save and I lost it.  

I'm tired and going to bed now but let's discuss this.  Am I wrong?  Overly sensitive?  The US isn't perfect but it's the best show in town; with or without an Obama candidacy.

5 comments:

  1. At least you don't get American TV news 24 hours a day. Did Hillary concede yet or what? I'm waiting for the moment when she's past the "I hope he gets assassinated" point and says "I'm not going to be President after all."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it even worse... at least TV runs other program sometimes. The internet on the other hand is wall-to-wall Obamessiah. It really is a shame that the coverage is so bad because this actually is an exciting historic election.

    To clarify about Hillary... are you asking if she's conceded or if she's conceited?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the one lady also fails to realize we are one of the most diverse countries in the world, and one of few who welcome others with rather open arms, and quite frankly the only one to which millions run for freedom and a better way of life. In the second quote, I am beside myself to think that somebody is relating this historical election to the level of sports heroes. I mean I love Jordan and what he did for the game of Basketball, and if you know me at all, you know that I am a basketball FREAK, but I really fail to see the connection to the political climate in this case, not to mention that Obama really doesn't represent anything that has to do with Jordan or Tiger other than he has a similar skin color. How Obama has a part in representing an America that produced Jordan and Tiger is crazy to me...besides....going back to my first thought...they are the product of an America who stands for freedom and welcomes others regardless of their ethnicity or religion or anything else and gives them a chance to become somebody, even a potentially world famous athlete. Now I can't get my thoughts straight I'm so irritated, so I will stop now. I will mention a funny slip on words I heard today when somebody was honestly asking whatever happened to Osama, they accidently said Obama - kind of funny anyway. Maybe the media will eventually talk about important issues surrounding this election and what matters for making america better rather than talking about such idiocy, but I seriously doubt it - it's the MEDIA afterall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know--as you promised non-beration for us closet Obama fans (did I just come out?)--I'm going to say I really understand what people in other countries are saying. Yes, America is a fabulous welcoming country, but if they are judging us purely on our national leader--we are a country of old, white men. Many major countries have had female leaders--even in Asia (India & Pakistan), Africa, South America, and Europe--while we have yet to have even a female vice-president. As a country that welcomes all races, having a leader who is black is another big win. Maybe I say this as one of the originally disenfranchised, who, if my ancestors had stayed in Britain or Germany, would have had a female leader already (yay Margaret and Angela!) Thanks for starting a forum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda,
    I mentioned in this post that I get identity politics but that doesn't mean that I have to like it. The real question whenever you look at a perspective leader is "are they qualified?" If they are, great, let's debate the issues. If not and they are progressing because of, not in spite of their minority status then I get frustrated. When The Daily Kos (one of Obamas most vociferous supporters) posts stories stating that McCain's ancestors owned slaves and isn't it interesting that 6 generations later he would be running against a black man (whose ancestors also owned slaves) I think we are on the verge of making race too big an issue in this election.

    I have seen nothing in Obama's vacuous orations that lead me to believe that he is anything but a lightweight. Likewise with his experience, both in and out of politics. My frustration in the coverage is that it is irrelevant to the media that he can't make up his mind on the issues or that he seems to have a freakish number of questionable associates... all that matters is that he has more melanin than John McCain. To paraphrase Monty Python, that's no way of picking a president.

    Let's also remember that Barack has no greater history of disenfranchisement than does McCain so perhaps we can get back to the issues, on which he and I are in almost complete disagreement.

    Thanks for jumping in bravely! Please come back with any additional thoughts or rebuttals.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think