6/27/08

Lessons Learned and Random Thoughts

I want to make an attempt to get out in front of the rumors which some of you may hear coming out of the HopeCenter in the next few days.  Please know that what I present here is straight scoop and anything beyond that can be considered exaggeration (unless someone tells you exactly how white my face had become by the time I made it to the car).

This morning (Friday, June 27th) at around 10:30 I was cutting up a downed tree limb with an ax when I missed my intended target and sliced open my left foot.  As far as I can determine, the gash in about 5-6 inches long and maybe and inch or more deep.  Were I to have an arch (I have VERY flat feet), the cut would run roughly the length of it, just under the first foot bone (which I think are called metatarsals).  I was understandably alarmed at the flesh that I could see hanging out and though I didn't lose a dangerous amount of blood, it was enough to scare me.

At the time I was in the back corner of camp with Sarah, Campbell and another girl.  Sarah ran for help as I tried to limp towards where I knew the car would pick me up.  I had the presence of mind to use my shirt to apply pressure.  The security guard Artur came running and helped me limp further as my vision kind of blurred.  As I mentioned, I didn't lose that much blood but I do have a thing with seeing my own accompanied by whatever that gross stuff was that was hanging out of the wound.  To complicate matters, Campbell sensed the panic and wanted me to hold him.  What a strange scene of me limping with the help of Artur while carry my very concerned son.  Our rag-tag procession made it to the car where Cam and I joined Sarah, Jenya and Tanya.

Tanya drove us rapidly to the hospital - halfway to which my vision cleared and I began to look at the situation more reasonably.  Upon arrival, Jenya - all 5' 4" 125 pounds of him - bodily lifted me and transported me into the hospital and the waiting wheelchair.  It may seem melodramatic to be carried for a simple cut foot, but the issue was that I couldn't keep pressure on the wound while limping or hopping; I still felt silly.

We got to see a doctor quickly and was a bit confused when he looked at the wound and in all seriousness mumbled "maladietz," meaning "good job."  We were left to contemplate what I was being congratulated for (perhaps my clearly skillful sharpening of the ax in question) for only a minute before I was wheeled into a room for stitches (the actual number of which - both internal and external - I never determined).  After some wincing and a few deep breaths they had it all stitched up and the doctor declared that there was no muscle or artery damage, though it was close to doing both.  I think we'll have to see later if there was nerve damage.

I did have the presence of mind to realize that I would want some shots for this blog entry so below are some fuzzy phone photos (I'll blame the silly alliteration on the pain meds) of my foot.  




I am on bed rest for at least a few days with antibiotic shots and follow-up doctor visits on the agenda for a week or so.  That means that more than ever I would appreciate comments, emails, Twits, Skypes and blog posts of your own to pass my boring days.  Expect a high volume of post from my end as well.

So, back to the post title... what lessons have I learned?
First and foremost, forestry and sandals are ALWAYS a bad idea.  Secondly I would like to say that Jenya and I have become blood brothers.  Not just because I bled on him or in the Hepatitis sense of the word but in that I was there when he took a pit bull tooth straight through his right foot and he was instrumental in helping me this morning.  He made the hilarious comment that he and I would be awesome in a 3-legged race; provided we teamed up my gimpy left leg with his gimpy right (I'm calling that one as the Line of the Day).

In all seriousness, even though I think I could have made it into the hospital myself (I had already made it the 60 yards to the car mostly under my own power while simultaneously trying to care for Campbell), it was an amazing thing to see this man of small stature but enormous heart.  I was honored by the effort that he put forward on my behalf and I love him that much more for what he did for me today.

Remember, I need your comments and questions or I'll be stuck scouring YouTube for hilarity... for which I am also accepting recommendations.

9 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read that the doctor said Maladietz!! Oh my gosh. Did they at least put all that nasty green stuff on your foot that they seem to put on every cut or scrape? Sorry to hear what happened. I would have FREAKED OUT! And yes...I'd wear shoes next time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just scared people in my office because of the intake of breath I took! I am so glad you are ok baby bro!!! And I am glad it wasn't as serious as it looks like it could have been -- I am sure they are lovely folks over there, but I don't know the level of faith I have in their orthopedic reattachment of tendons and whatnot!

    I will try and regale you with stories via email!! Rest up and BEHAVE!! Sarry may be of small stature but I bet she will lay the beatdown on you if you don't follow orders!!

    XOXO

    T

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blah, cringe, squirm...

    axe + any flesh = flashbacks to bad horror flicks from the 80's and/or CPR/First Aid training when they give you all the worst case scenarios...Eeesh.

    I'm glad you still have your foot! Happy recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are times when the level of your descriptions are so wonderful, because I feel as though I am right there with you seeing it in person. And then there are times when, ummm, a little less would be just fine :o)...as I sit here reading and my foot is now throbbing with pain. I'll pray for a quick recovery!

    Oh by the way. Unless I slept through through the last 36 hours, It is still Friday, June 27th about 9:00pm or so your time So this event must have happened Friday morning not Saturday. I though you were trying to dispel rumors not start them :) Maybe it was all the blood loss????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you've outdone yourself once again. Matt, Matt, Matt. Well, at least you should be well rested for the Euro Finals on Sunday! I'll be thinking of you when I watch, hoping you can find a comfortable place to rest your foot and your pain killers don't adle that brain anymore than a self-inflicted ax wound should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a guy, I'm not sure whether I should wish you a speedy recovery or laugh at you...or both. It's called "guy love".

    ReplyDelete
  7. МОЛОДЕЦ МЕТТ!!!!!!! wow ya i'm not thinking ax and sandals go so good together!! and i can completly picture jenya helping you. he is just that kind of guy!!! I hope you heal up soon!! one questoin although i think i know the answer...did they numb your foot first before stitches? enjoy your resting time!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Crap. My mom told me about this yesterday and I cringed for about 5 mins with my face covered. I think the people in 3 Margaritas thought I was nuts. I still cringe thinking about it. Course there is a reason I am not a doctor or nurse. I wouldn't make it past the pictures in medical books. Anyway, I hope you are doing better. How about no more axes and sandals. Ok? Get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer dude. How are u gonna give me a butt-kickin now?

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think