10/20/08

Blog Reader Conclusion

I have decided that I have given my Bloglines v. Google Reader contest long enough to make a call as to the winner...

Here's what I learned:

1.  Bloglines is perpetually NOT showing the latest feed on a variety of sites.  The upside is that if there appears to be a feed problem, it displays a disturbing little red exclamation point next to the site's name.  This is only of marginal use since a few of my sites have had this icon for 6 weeks or so.

2.  Google Reader takes a little getting used to since it's functionality is a bit different than Bloglines Classic (though very similar to the new Bloglines Beta).

3.  If you use your Google account for a variety of applications (Blogger, gmail, Reader, etc), it can be very easy.... unless multiple people use separate Google accounts on your computer.  If I sit down to my Reader page to refresh the feeds and Sarah has logged in with gmail on another tab, it will show an error message, forcing me to log out of hers and re-login on mine.  It's not a major deal but can be an annoyance if you can't figure out what went wrong.



I have decided to switch to Google Reader for now - while still keeping my Bloglines active - in an attempt to get more timely feed alerts.  I know this isn't conclusive so if you are looking at one or the other, I would recommend trying them both on a few feeds before deciding which you prefer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me your genius!