10/29/08

Early Voting

I actually went and voted this morning.  I had planned on it yesterday but I was diverted to go play xbox over my lunch break.  It wasn't so much that I value Halo (1 or 2) over my civic duties, but when you have a week to cast an early ballot and only one lunch to blow your friends up with video rocket launchers, well......

Some of my observations about elections and voting today:

Random person in line with me:  I took up my spot in line and realized I was directly behind a guy - whose name I couldn't remember at the time - who I helped guide on an antelope hunt last fall with Pack String Ranch Outfitters.  Now I have recalled that his name was John something-or-other but since that eluded me I just stood behind him quietly.

Most bizarre aspect of polling locations:  A faux ballot the size of sleeping bag (for us to review while in line) when in reality I will be voting on a computer.  Why not a more usable multi-page pamphlet?  If it was just a blown-up version of the real ballot it would be reasonable but I'm tapping a touch-screen so what's the point?

Second most bizarre:  After talking to folks at the entrance and standing in line for 10-15 minutes, the poll worker who checks your ID is still required to ask, "Are you here to vote?"  A half-dozen smart alec remarks came to mind but I decided (being in a battle ground state) I better not jeopardize my vote.

Question I can't answer:  On my ballot every Dem candidate was on top (presumably alphabetically, listed by party) except for president in which McCain-Palin had top billing.  Why?

Best voting booth quote:  Mark, delivered dead-pan upon learning that they were out of 'I Voted' stickers - "If you don't give me a sticker, how will I know not to vote again?"

Get in, vote and then give me your stories.......



3 comments:

  1. I had my cheet sheats with me and had already read through the ballot at home so I felt well prepared. So I had to chuckle at myself while standing in line for over an hour.... I was reading my celebrity gossip magazine while everyone else was reading the huge yellow ballots....I really enjoyed reading about who has the best celebrity baby bump while others were reading about tax increases...

    ReplyDelete
  2. CO Gov Bill Ritter - Democrat

    “The names of the candidates of the party that received the highest number of votes for Governor in the last election in which a Governor was elected shall be placed first under the heading for each office on the general election ballot, together with an appropriate abbreviation of party name.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aaron. I voted yesterday here in Indiana and though we have a Republican governor the Democrat was listed first across the entire ballot.

    I am glad that Indiana, South Bend anyway, is using paper ballots. I still don't trust touch screen computer balloting. The inability to recount is just too risky in my opinion.

    I was reading Hot, Flat, and Crowded in line. Not paying much attention to celebrity baby bumps!!!

    Just as aside, that is a book I strongly recommend to anyone and everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!