2/11/08

Hunting update

I mentioned at the end of this post that I was tasked with keeping the camp relatively crow free with an underpowered Gamo pellet rifle.  In the meantime I've acquired another gun (also Gamo) and added a low power Bushnell scope.  After some sighting difficulties, I got it dialed-in and have been fairly pleased with its accuracy - it will consistently hit an 8 ounce juice bottle at 40-50 yards.

Whether it was the wind, temperature, barametric pressure or the phase of the moon, there were piles of crows flying around today so I thought I should give the new set-up a real test.  My main issue thus far has been getting within lethal range for my pop gun and today was no different.  I actually shot 5 of the 7 birds I stalked - with the first 2 hits squawking and flying away.  The last 3 were all in the same corner and I thought they were promising kills.  One dropped and to my disappointment quickly zoomed away, but 2 definitely hit the ground.  The first fluttered and landed behind someone else's wall but the last I salvaged (along with my pride and reputation as a hunter) and got photo evidence with my phone.

My next goal is to get one of the doves that hang around here occasionally.  I assume that they are the same Eurasian collared doves that are infesting the states and look forward to seeing how they taste.  They look like they are about the size of a parrot so at least they will have a bit more meat than our tiny version.

6 comments:

  1. Why you killed that bird? Ha? She(or He) might have(had) family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe....and I don't want them living at the camp either. None of them are welcome! My job is to keep crows away from the Hope Center and that's what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How come when I read this post I picture you with a pot upside down on your head an a gun that has a cork and a string on the end? LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. forgive my typos...it's hard to walk and text at the same time...kind of like walking and chewing gum...almost done with my "5K".

    ReplyDelete
  5. No worries!

    Sorry about the grossness of the picture, but some of my readers are hunters and just wouldn't believe me without evidence.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think