2/27/08

Inaugural Thursday 13

Update:  By my count, it took me almost 6 hours of re-reading, checking comments and being online before I realized...today isn't Thursday!  I am officially amending the post to note my mistake.  Sorry for botching my first attempt, I'll try to remember to get next week's on the right day.

When I first started blogging, I noticed a method that was called "Thursday 13."  It's basically like a top 10 list (but 13) of some topic every Thursday.  It adds a bit a variety to a blog with a format that should be long on cleverness but short on text and grammar.  Why it isn't a Tuesday 12 or Friday 5 I don't really know but this is my first episode of The Gaws Thursday 13.

Subject:  Why I listen to the World Soccer Daily podcast religiously.

13.  Even though the hosts, Kenny Hassan and Steven Cohen are Scottish and English, it's some of the only English I get to hear in Ukraine and it makes me think of home.

12.  They answer e-mails.

11.  It's one of the most popular sports podcasts on iTunes

10.  Where else can you hear a bunch of Yanks calling everyone "mate" and signing off with "cheers."

9.  WSD has found the perfect combination of mocking Scientologists and Arsenal fans with the same joke (calling the latter the former since they are both cults).

8.  Because once you hear someone called "Billy big-boots" you just can't stop saying it.

7.  I love it that the phrase "with all due respect" can become an insult (ie. saying it prior to some vicious criticism, implying that the amount of respect due is exactly nil)...

6.  ...and because "to be fair" can do the same thing.

5.  Due to the time change, it is waiting for me on iTunes every morning Tuesday through Saturday...like an audio morning paper!

4.  Because phrases like "I am fantasteek" (Jose),  "unbelievable" (Rafa), "very niice", "mental!", "dangerous!" and "so sorry" (all Kenny) with the correct accent and emphasis should be a part of everyone's lexicon.

3.  Because the Liverpool FC website and BBC only run articles which cover that Player A is very impressed with Teammate B's current form and believes that they are "one of the top [Teammate B's position here] in the world."

2.  I communicate with my sister Tammi more now - probably related to a common interest - than I used to before she started listening.

and...

1.  Because last week some lady got a wrong number, was allowed on the air where, without missing a beat, the hosts played along and told her that the person for whom she was calling had been released from her job for embezzlement and having an affair with her superior.  You have to love that kind of quick thinking.



I know that some of the references in this 13 are lost on all but 2 of you, but I hope some of it was entertaining.  Stay tuned for next week's list (which I've already started) on weirdest things that happen Ukraine...or something like that.

6 comments:

  1. I know! I have to talk to you about it b/c no one I know out here can talk about it! Except since I do work for a Pan-African organization with people from Ghana and Malawi, the ACN was great fun around the office.


    In light of my listen today, and some of my personal favorites, I would like to list some understudy moments for your list.

    1. Saying that certain people's phone number is one-nil-one-nil-one-nil.

    2. Things going pear-shaped quite quickly.

    3. Steven having no tolerance for racism.

    4. Neutron getting his bollocks lopped off.

    5. Getting to listen to Kaiser Chiefs and the Teddybears at least once or twice a week, and I have LOVED the Kaiser Chiefs for the last couple of years!!

    It is an addiction, and yet the healthiest one I can think of!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of my other less used favs from Kenny are also:

    "Gorjess!"
    "Garrbidg!"
    "Oooof!"

    Howard had some great ones...RIP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And let's not forget, in honor of the Spurs....

    Dimitar, Dimitar BERBATOV!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "GOOD one, mate!"

    How do you write these in such a way as to represent the way Kenny says them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL...Deemitah Deemitah Berbatoff!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say it was Thursday in Australia when you posted. Therefore, as your lawyer, we will posit what I will now call the "It's five-o-clock somewhere" defense. It was Thursday somewhere. Further changes will just be seen as a modification of said defense.

    Tammi rests.

    (swrbau)

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think