2/14/08

A new task


Recently we decided to add a greater physical training component to the International Vocational Academy.  This week the students are running with us every other day with optional additional training on the off days.  Sarah has had a better response...mainly because hers is at 3pm while mine is at 6:45am.  She has them doing an alternating walk/jog for 30 minutes with strength training on the other days.  The guys and I have run laps around camp - which is universally known to be BORRRRRRING - and down to the sea - which is cold and involves a huge hill.  I have been stuck between the guys who can really do some serious running and those whose Marlboro-cured lungs are less than up to the task.  I either get yelled at for taking it easy or lose guys for running too hard.  

Yesterday I got my doors blown on a 6K run (I've had to switch to kilometers) by a 22 year old kid named Vanya.  This wouldn't be that interesting if it weren't for the fact that:  1. he smokes and 2: he did so in sub-freezing temperatures wearing flip-flops with socks.  It was pretty impressive.  I hope get into a bit better shape to challenge him on future runs.

I'm getting old...

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like what you need is a PaceWheel :). Do want a metric version or a metric version?

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think