2/7/08

My new favorite word that ends in "-ocracy"

Today I was listening to a World Soccer Daily podcast and co-host Howard Rogers used a term that was completely new to me...Kleptocracy.

  • Democracy - Rule by the people; ie. popular opinion
  • Theocracy - Rule by those who claim to represent the will of God
  • Aristocracy - Rule by those of "high birth"
  • And my new favorite....Kleptocracy - Rule by those who are the best thieves (think kleptomania)
The use of the word was in the midst of a discussion about the Russian owner of London's Chelsea FC, Roman Abramovich.  It was his ownership that prompted fans of other clubs to coin the term "Chelski" (though I have recently learned that it should be "-sky" to indicate Russian as apposed to Polish).  This man is currently about 40 years old and is worth over 18 billion dollars despite being essentially penniless 20 years ago.  He is one of the wealthiest Russians on the planet and believed to be worth more than any other person in the UK.  His rubles where gained in the post-Soviet era in a manner that was not exactly kosher (despite his being Jewish), which probably explains his being a London resident.  Rogers was saying not to hold his semi-shady fortune against him since nearly all Russian tycoons have similar backgrounds, because Russia is a kleptocracy.

I loved how nicely it summed up my frustrations with most Ukrainian politicians, public figures and civil servants.  Recently we learned that when our vocational students take their drivers tests in May, it is already arbitrarily set that only 35% will pass on the first time regardless of how well the class does.  After we pay another $100 (each) for the remaining 65% to retest, another 35% will pass and the remaining students will pass on their third ($100) attempt.  All of this is known as "black law."  It is a specific kickback policy within a given bureaucracy (there's another -ocracy) that is not written but strictly enforced.  As if to flaunt their corruption, the police who administer the driving tests refuse to accept any payment method except cash.  I can't wait till I get pulled over the first time...

6 comments:

  1. It might be the last time you get pulled over! At first I thought the word Kleptocracy was referring to Liverpool, but Russia makes a lot more sense. It's an interesting topic of discussion...this kickback mentality is abhorrent to the western world, yet in a lot of other places it still goes on. Africa comes to mind, and so do the unrefined parts of the far east. I'm not saying it's right, more that it seems interesting to me that it's an eastern mentality and not a western one.

    p.s. BTW, if you listen to WSD for Wed, 6 Feb, you'll be saddened to hear that Howard (aka Debbie Downer) is no longer a host. It's Steve and Kenny now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the concept of responsible stewardship of the public's resources is a distinctly puritan concept. It wasn't all that common in the west before US independence and the copy-cat revolutions that followed.

    I actually suspected this as I noticed that someone made it to my blog by Googling "Howard Rogers fired from WSD". Weird how we get information these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt-

    No-go-on-the-prego.

    I know you're there right now.

    You know who

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the same thing about kleptocracy!!! I totally thought that it was a Liverpool joke, and a dang funny one at that!!!

    I was going to make sure Matty heard about Howard too. I am kind of bummed and it makes me wonder who complained, but oh well, such is life. It makes his show with Kenny on Tuesday kind of a "memorial" show...sniff sniff.....I am sure you will notice that there are way too many people

    And in response to Aaron (who I think is "come on you spurs"[if it isn't him, it totally should be]) I sort of agree, except that it is still a very western idea that plays out in places like Africa cause we play it out. Think Belgium and Congo, UK in Rwanda, the US in Congo, etc. We like to play like we don't like it, but boy do we play it when we need it :-)

    LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scared..... Right on! I'm glad to hear all is well and that you're breathing a sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note to self...Come on You Spurs was me (Aaron). Tammi wins the prize. That was my point...regardless of how or when it changed or if we were previously involved in a country this sort of thing doesn't happen in today's "western" cultures.

    To scared...I heard about this the other day...glad all is ok.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think