4/9/08

Liverpool - Arsenal trifecta update #2

So here it is...the last Liverpool post that you non-futbol-lovers will have to endure until the next Champions League round (or stellar PL event)...

WE WON!!!!!!!

In a game in which only a victory would send us through this tie, we defeated the evil Arsenal 4-2 in a thrilling back and forth game.  I predicted a 2-1 victory and there was a point where that looked very likely.  The Reds were controlling possession and Arsenal didn't look at all dangerous.  That all changed when the much maligned Theo Walcott made a spectacular solo run from box to box before passing to wide open Adebayor.  For the crap north London team, this was a good as a win.  It was the perpetual bench sitter, 19 year old Dutchman Ryan Babel that broke it open by drawing a penalty in the box and then scoring one of his own in the dying minutes.

I watched the match with Jenya during his security night shift.  He, a fervent Gooner, kept tensions high as the momentum swung wildly back and forth for 90 minutes.  Great match, great win.

3 comments:

  1. WHAT A GAME!!! I'm so glad you were able to watch it. I was wondering if you were following it online or really got to see it.

    First, this post is automatically deemed an excellent one because you correctly identified Ar5ena1 (the 5& 1 reference Spurs Carling Cup semi-final victory) as the evil team from North London.

    Second, props for correctly identifying the best goal of the game - Walcott's assist to Immanuel A. AMAZING! I counted and Walcott alone beat 5 men on his own, either with the ball or with his final pass. That's half of the field team!

    Torres' goal was a rocket too... I thought for sure it was all over when they got their second, but MAN, the game turned on that PK like 30 seconds (so it seemed) after that goal. Raffa es un genioso tactico! (Spanglish)

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. since Spurs season is for all intents over, I'm pulling for you big time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to catch the 2nd half on the "ocho" yesterday, awesome game. I've tried to get into MLS here in the states, but nothing matches the ball control and strategy of the established leagues. It may not have been the best of the match, but that capping goal in the last few minutes was is more of what I love about the game.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think