4/2/08

Thursday 13: The top items from my childhood that I wished I still owned

I am encouraging Sarry to do a 13 of her own this week.  We'll see if that comes together (probably dependent on when the boy takes his nap).  In the meantime, here's mine.

The Top 13 things from my childhood I wish I still had...

13.  The wallet I lost in the bedroom of my old house that had $6-$7 in it...I mean that's real money!

12.  Some baseball or football card that was in my grasp and I'm sure is now very valuable.

11.  My innocence...

10.  My toddler "polka suit"...oh wait, my mom DOES still have that.  Good thing we're in Ukraine or poor Campbell would already have his own picture in that thing.  If your pants come up past your nipples and your belly still overhangs them, you have got a problem...

9.  My walkie-talkies that were as big as a Volvo, had a battery life of 7.5 minutes and a range of 19 inches.  They sucked but the antennae made great whips for sibling fights.

8.  Big Wheels; I think that one is obvious.  Even with a split front wheel (you guys know what I'm talking about) those suckers were the fastest things on 3 wheels!

7.  My love of liver...it would really help to have that back over here.

6.  My FULL thick blond hair.  If you haven't seen the back of my head in the past couple years, you'll just have to trust me on this one.

5.  $1/gallon gasoline.

4.  My first hand-carved whiffle ball bat (I know for a fact that some of you remember this one).

3.  The machete that my grandpa gave me when I was 7 or 8.

2.  All the money that my parents spent on Ritalin.  Put that in a savings account and I could have gone to a real college!

1.  My full set of Star Wars bedding.  Nothing helps a boy sleep at like laying his head on Boba Fett.

As before, give me at least your top 5 if not all 13.

6 comments:

  1. 5. My huge collection of Crossbows & Catapults game pieces.

    4. The aforementioned, hand-carved wiffle-ball bat. It used to be a 2x2, but then it was Wonderboy.

    3. My GI Joe dog tags and belt. I got a GI Joe when I broke my leg at 5 years old, and I sent in $5 to get this GI Joe fan club kit. Some years later, the belt (then being used as parachute webbing) cut my head open and I had to go to the ER

    2. The 1.7 billion 7-11 Slurpee Lid Frisbees we had frisbee fights with in my parents house.

    1. The automatic football throwing arm. It was this contraption with a mechanical lever-arm set to a timer. You could play catch by yourself or 500 with just a couple other guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, mine are my top five items that my mother refuses to give me, as she is "saving" them for grandchildren:
    5. My collection of Nancy Drew novels, partially created by stealing from my aunts.
    4. My "My Friend Mandy" doll. She had the same name as me!
    3. My four Velveeta boxes full of baseball cards, carefully (obsessively) sorted into the 1987 baseball teams.
    2. My stuffed monkey, given to me at birth, and then de-eared by my baby sister.
    1. My Go Fish game, with incredibly cute fish pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since we all know I have very little memory of my childhood, I wouldn't know what I had, or wish I still had!!

    Are you sure Grandpa gave you a machete too? I seem to remember the one I brought back from Jamaica (which you were then prohibited from swinging around while jumping on a trampoline), but I think that one is in your closet upstairs.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda,
    That is awesome! I think I have the same baseball card collection as you! In the same Velveeta boxes... but only 2. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5. While I have a set of Crossbows and Catapults, I wish I had the perfect long hallway to play it on. How I miss base housing...

    4. The zipline I built in the backyard of the delmonico house, I as recall the harness was the last remaining peice of a lazer tag set.

    3. The 1.7 billion 7-11 Slurpee Lid Frisbees we had frisbee fights with in my parents house - those were so awesome and we seriously had a metric ton.

    2. Football stadium cups. After each Falcons games, my brothers and I would scour the stadium for cans and plastic cups we would use to make cup castles - we could block off an entire room with cups. Awesome.

    1. My first bike! I don't know how many scars on my body are due to that bike and all the homemade jumps and ramps. I jumped the Doug Valley Creek on that bike!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the laughs guys.
    To answer/respond to you all at once...

    Coach, was that bat just a 2x2? It seemed like a fence post at the time!

    We never had any Velveeta at my house and I still find it foul. I would never disgrace a fine pass time (not sport) like baseball by putting cards in the same package.

    Tammi, I did in fact have 2 machetes - one from Jamaica and one from Grandpa. I think I lost them both simultaneously during one of my many mid-20's moves around the country. Clearly I was gutted by this.

    Mark, if you miss those AFA cups so much, spend a fall weekend with my parents. My mom still has plenty and continues to collect them post-whistle if you'd like some for your house.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think