3/2/08

Lazy (Malaise-y?) Saturday, pt 2

I know it isn't still Saturday - here or in the States - but I just wanted to do a little follow up on the response to the previous post.  Nearly all of the feedback I have received (through comments, emails, Skype messages, verbal communication, pony express, telegram, etc.) has echoed what I am feeling.  I have heard from friends and family alike who are suffering through a spiritual malaise similar to that which I wrote about.  I have been heartened to hear the advice and solidarity in this struggle but also saddened that it is so prevalent.  Please, let's keep asking and caring and sharing these issues with each other.  I am reminded of 2 relevant quotes (or paraphrases) for which I hope one of my English teacher friends can help me with the sources:

"Men live lives of quiet desperation."
and
"No man is an island."

As a semi-post script, I want to give a little recognition to a great post by The Coach. Unbeknownst to either of us, we wrote post with much the same subject.  It is touching and poignant and it really brightened my morning.  I hope it does the same for the rest of you.

1 comment:

  1. Matt - thanks for the nod to my post.

    Also, the sources of your two quotations.

    Thoreau wrote "The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation and die with the song still in them/.../I wanted to suck the marrow out of life"

    John Donne wrote "No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think