3/6/08

The Vagueries of the Innermet

So today I finally was able to log onto my blog tracker to satisfy my curiosity about how things have been going and I was shocked to discover that I became ridiculously popular about the time of the "The Big Mac Meltdown." I know I've written about this before, but this time its even more crazy. I jumped from an average visitor count of about 50 per day to over 250...for 2 days. Only on Monday and Tuesday did I experience these huge numbers with Wednesday and today looking just over average. What makes it so strange is that the increase is almost entirely due to 1 image on an old post. The Mexican flag seems to have gotten incredibly popular earlier this week but is now back to normal. I just don't get it.

3 comments:

  1. Innermet...shipoopi! I bet I alone account for about 120 of the visits. :) Just giving you some luv. Can you tell what part of the world they came from? I get a 0 second hit from you everytime your bloglines updates/hits my page, even if you didn't view my page. I'd be curious as to the location and the time, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked the times and locations and they seem to all times and from all over the US. I didn't want to get into the minutia of the way that the tracker works but I do know that if people hit it from bloglines or it comes up in a Google search that it is counted. I have 2 trackers set up and they both account for the difference between page loads and actual visits. I would understand if the page loads had gone up huge but I got 5 times as many VISITS as usual. I wasn't even counting page loads. When I said it was back to normal, that wasn't really true...I am still kicking at about 2.5 times my regular traffic.

    Honestly, I think it has something to do with Google's search criteria. I can't think of the word right now, but they have a specific way of seaching the internet, as do all search engines. They all have a method by which they rate all the hits for a given search parameter (ie. why does a Wikipedia article come up in the top 5-10 for any search you do?).

    I just thought of the word...algorithm. They must have made either an adjustment in their algorithm or adjusted how my blog scores within their existing algorithm. It's still weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird, yes...also interesting though. Maybe I'm weird. To steal a line from MP (and in my best Ralph from the Simpsons voice):

    "I taste rainbows"!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think