3/29/08

New (Old) Churches in Kerch

With the parents in town this week and the weather cooperating, we decided to get out and see the sights yet again in Kerch.  This time we opted for a few places that were new (at least to me) which turned out to be some great locations.  The 2 that I wanted to highlight are Orthodox churches.  These are 2 of the less impressive but more representative churches in the area - with the 2 nearer buildings being absolutely gorgeous (pictures forthcoming).  The first three shots are of St John the Baptist Church in downtown Kerch.  It is the oldest church in Ukraine, being dated to the year 717.  The dome that can be seen in the first picture is the original with two more ornate domes having been added as part of the later construction.                                                           


This plaque near the front door needed to be seen as it is both very Russian and very Orthodox-y.

This church is typical of the village churches.  Much smaller than those in town - sort of resembling cheap knock-offs - these churches are nearly always these colors.  The domes are painted yellow where those of their more glamorous cousins are metallic; appearing to be gold plaited.  When I get my rechargeable batteries back from Paul (yet another visiting guest), I'll stop by the 2 nearby churches for pictures that will better display the disparity.

I still love this little place for it's simplicity...I guess I can picture Jesus here better than in the gold roofed churches.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful pictures--what amazing churches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if I get a little more adventurous I'll do a post on the village mosques too. They make me a little sad to see but are beautiful nonetheless.

    There is a cultural aversion (probably Soviet in origin) to people taking pictures of important structures. I don't know how excited the local Muslims would be for me to paparazzi their house of worship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do learn more about the history of this church - you will be amazed! And go at midnight on Orthodox Easter...

    Have you visited the local Jewish Temple? Very fascinating too.

    And please, make a point of touring Adjumaskiya (sp?)...you will be touched to the core.

    Make sure you mark your calander for 8/9 May...and go to Mount Mitridates for the ceremomonies.

    How I wish I could be there to be a tour guide for you! 8-)

    Wishing you well!

    Ginn
    Exploring Santa Fe, But Missing Kerch!

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think