3/6/08

Thursday 13: How you know you're in Ukraine

Today's 13 deals with our experiences here in Ukraine. This is 13 ways that you know you're dealing with a COMPLETELY different culture.

13. When it's normal to be berated on a cold day for not wearing a scarf by a stranger lady with nothing covering her lower half but a mini-skirt the size of a band-aid.

12. When the answer to "is that legal?" is always "sort of."

11. When you know that if you ask 10 people to explain a situation, you'll get at least 11 different stories.

10. When you are told that you must be prepared for something at 5pm, which could either mean 4:15 or 5:30 - but nothing in between.

9. When you are dealing with an office setting and people feel that talking to you and helping you is more important than what they're doing (definitely not an American mindset).

8. When you call your internet provider to learn why your connection is alternating between stupid slow and nonexistent and they just say, "we know."

7. When you are told by a person that will fill his entire sedan to the roof with farm produce that pick-ups are not practical...

6. ...and this makes you start counting the pick-ups that you do see and looking at them longingly.

5. When ping-pong is considered a "man's game" and it sometimes causes tempers to flare.

4. When it's normal to see a lady in stiletto heels move like a ninja across a broken and rubble-strewn street that Americans would use 4x4s on.

3. When you have 'salad' for every lunch and dinner but can go 3 months without having a scrap of lettuce (I love mayonnaise).

2. When you have to get a new drivers license every month.

1. When you can't learn the language right because even your own name changes spelling depending on the context.

Please add your own little pearls from any of your international experiences.

7 comments:

  1. I have no pearls, I just have to say it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, and congrats on actually waiting til Thursday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious Matt. I can identify with a few of those from my time in Germany. Thanks for sharing. This paints quite a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #10 is also know as Hawaiian time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaHA that is SOOO TRUE!!! and my personal favorite...while being in ukraine... ALWAYS getting yelled at for sitting on the ground. I was once told it will do something to my babies later and also that it will give me hemroids!!! if thats the case all Americans have bottom isues!!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement. I am hoping to maintain a consistant stream of blog content, but it's a lot tougher when you have to bum a computer everytime you have a post idea. I doubt I'll be able to keep up my pace of 8ish blogs a week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah just wanted me to add an additional Ukrainianism. Today we were yelled at by a old babushka for having the audacity to try to let her cross the street at the crosswalk. She indicated that she was CLEARLY not attempting to cross and we were idiots for having assumed that she wanted to.

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think