3/8/08

Only boys...

A few days ago I got a Skype request from a friend of Marshall's from Liverpool who I met once about 4 years ago in Colorado. The invitation included his personalized message saying that he was finally on Skype and that we should chat because we are both fans of the greatest football (not throwball) team in the world. I of course accepted but had not made any contact with him until today. With Liverpool having won twice in 4 days by a combined score of 7-0, I thought it would be a perfect time revel in the victories.

I started off by congratulating him on the great result and we then proceeded to move into discussing the upcoming Champions League tie with Inter Milan. We were a solid 10 minutes into our discussion before I realized that I was chatting away like we'd been friends for years. To review, this is a guy that visited my house one time 4 years ago and with whom I have not had any contact since. When I mentioned this, Sarah laughed and said, "Only boys..." It appears that the combination of sports and the Y-chromosome make small talk completely unnecessary.

Actually I had a lovely but too-short chat with Tim about where we both are what we've been doing in the intervening years since our introduction. I look forward to cheering the Reds together and getting better acquainted with him and his wife Becky....at least as much as you can via the internet.


PS - Blogger is running stupid today and the spell check is ignoring me. If you see a serious typo, just comment it and I'll fix it. Who needs a spell checker when you have literate friends?

2 comments:

  1. To violate the idea of "only boys," I would add that anyone who has taught can immediately carry on a conversation with a fellow teacher. At parties where I don't know anyone, I tend to wander about until I hear someone mention teaching and then latch on. Soon we are chatting as if we've known each other for a while. Bonus points for the same subject/grade, but administration tales can cover all bases.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose you're probably right with that one. I guess in retrospect I mostly found it humorous that it never even occured to me to say, "how are you?" or "how has your week been (or for that matter the 200-something previous weeks)."

    ReplyDelete

Give me your genius!

What I used to think